What is the use of fertilizers?
As a kid, we have always learned about fertilizers, their usage, and their advantages. Fertilizers promote the growth of crops. But what is fertilizer? What are fertilizers used for?
Just as humans need essential minerals and nutrients for strong, healthy growth, so do the world’s crops. The role of fertilizers in food production is crucial. Fertilizers are food for plants. Let’s make you understand the value of fertilizers by giving you an answer about what are fertilizers used for.
What Are Fertilizers?
The human body requires food, minerals, and vitamins to grow and become healthy. The fact states that plants are living beings, so the plant also needs vitamins and minerals.
A mineral plant nutrient is an element that is essential for plant growth and development or the quality attributes of the harvested product of a given plant species grown in its natural or cultivated environment.
What are fertilizers used for? Fertilizers are chemical or organic substances that promote the growth and productivity of crops. They provide beneficial nutrients that plants need to grow. People also use them in their gardens for flowers and plants.
What are fertilizers used for?
Soil is said to provide all the necessary nutrients to the crop. But due to the climatic condition and removal of topsoil, many nutrients are removed from the soil.
Fertilizers replace the nutrients that crops remove from the soil. With fertilizers, crop yields and agricultural productivity would increase significantly. That’s why it’s crucial to add mineral fertilizers to provide a vital supplement to the soil and increase the productivity of crops.
What are fertilizers used for is a genuine question by many people? The main reason for using fertilizers is due to their composition. The composition of fertilizers makes them suitable supplements for crops. Various chemical fertilizers have added nutrients that plants need to grow. In addition to carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, which they get from the atmosphere and water, plants need 14 essential nutrients for their growth and health, which fertilizer provides.
The chemical fertilizers consist of 14 essential nutrients for the growth of the plants. These are magnesium (Mg), calcium (Ca), copper (Cu), iron (Fe), boron (B), potassium (K), chlorine (Cl), sulfur (S), nitrogen (N), zinc (Zn), phosphorus (P), nickel (Ni), manganese (Mn), and molybdenum (Mo).
Types of Fertilizers
We have learned what are fertilizers used for. It’s time to know the type of fertilizers for better understanding. There are six different fertilizers examples.
We all know about inorganic fertilizers. These are chemical fertilizers consisting of various essential nutrient elements. These are not made naturally and can harm soil and crops if used more than required and assist in the growth of crops.
There are two types of inorganic fertilizers –
Nitrogen Fertilizer- They contain nitrogen, a vital mineral for development. Also, chlorophyll’s main constituent is nitrogen, crucial for photosynthesis. Moreover, nitrogen is a part of amino acids that constitutes protein.
Phosphorus Fertilizer- Phosphorus fertilizers play a primary role in the growth and development of plant cells. Moreover, this type of fertilizer is beneficial for the growth of roots.
In the world of chemical fertilizers, organic materials are making their name. Organic fertilizers are made naturally. They can be made manually or can be bought from the market.
Researcher says that the composition of fertilizers is such that soil enrichment takes place. Soil enrichment happens when the carbonic compounds help in the growth of plants.
Organic fertilizers increase the organic content of the soil. They facilitate the reproduction of microorganisms and improve soil characteristics.
Organic fertilizers are easy to make. There are many ways to make organic fertilizers. These are-
Every garden or farm has weeds. Weeds are high in nitrogen and will make an excellent fertilizer.
But putting these weeds back in the garden is probably not a good idea. Because any seeds will sprout and new weeds will grow. The solution? Weed tea! Take a five-gallon bucket and fill it not more than 1/4 full with weeds. Now fill the bucket with water and let the weeds soak for a week or two. Once the water turns brown like tea, put this weed tea into your garden.
Manure has high nitrogen and other nutrients. Raw manure is highly acidic with more nutrients and can burn your plant if added more than required. Composted manure is best as they are less nutrient-dense and acidic. You can use them without worrying about the plant’s quality.
Leaves are rich in minerals. They attract earthworms, retain moisture, and help make heavy soils lighter. You can either Crush the leaves and put them into potting soil or use them as mulch to fertilize your plants.
Advantages of Fertilizers
- A fertilizer facilitates easy storage, transportation, and application.
- For providing a particular nutrient, one can choose the required fertilizer.
- Fertilizers are water-soluble and get easily dissolve in the soil. It facilitates plant absorption.
- They have a profound effect on crops and plants.
- They are effective in enhancing crop yield.
- Fertilizers yield crop production and help in feeding a large population.
- They are safe, reliable, and of a predictable nature.
Disadvantages of Fertilizers
- Fertilizers are expensive and not affordable for many farmers.
- Fertilizers have ingredients that can be toxic to the respiratory system and the skin.
- Excess use of fertilizers harms plants and deteriorates the fertility of the soil.
- Fertilizers can cause leaching.
- As they are water-soluble, they can make their way to the river causing eutrophication.
- Long-time usage of fertilizers can reduce microbial activity.
- Fertilizers can sometimes disturb the pH of the soil.
What are fertilizers used for – Uses of Fertilizers
Fertilizers can take place for various purposes. Some are given below-
- Fertilizers are a great source of providing crucial nutrients to plants.
- They are beneficial for the improvement of the yield of the crops.
- Fertilizers with high nitrogen content are helpful for the greening of lawns.
- Organic fertilizers improve the fertility and texture of the soil.
- Gardeners use Fertilizers to fulfill the nutritional need of plants.